Where are the Germiest Places in Town? You May Be Surprised
"We tested all kinds things that we all touch every day, wondering whether money was filthier than, say, a toilet seat. We learned there is a difference between dirty, disgusting and dangerous. As Michelle Charlesworth reports, the difference lies in the degree of moisture."
Slow news day, I guess.
The Eyewitness News Team... "tested the grime on escalators, toilets, cheese shakers, public phones and water fountains. We even took the swabs to touch screen ATMs and then tested actual money, and something that touches a lot of money every day: The gloves toll-takers wear."
Check out the results. Anything over 50 CFU Per Ml is "nasty."
- posted by matt @ 11/07/2003 11:09:00 PM
Bronx Police Blotter
Ugh, this page is about a mile long and the whole thing is pretty depressing. Here are a few of my favorites, if you can call them that:
- "A woman during the night disregarded the sounds of a gun being discharged only to find out later on that the bullets had damaged her car. The woman explained to investigating officers that she heard the sounds of a gun being fired during the evening, but failed to report it to 911. She was surprised to find that the bullets had damaged her car and several others."
She "disregarded" the sounds of gunfire until she realized the bullets hit her car.
- "Three police officers were injured when a fight broke out in front of a bar. Additional police officers from all over the Bronx rushed to the scene to assist the local officers and maintain order."
I like the attention to accuracy here... "all over the Bronx."
- "A search was conducted for a 25-year-old black male. The male culprit had removed jewelry from a woman and attempted to fell the victim’s chest."
I had to read this a few times. Fell? Ah... feel!
- "The victim of a push-in type robbery was tied for 36 years after the culprits fled. Investigators learned that two men and a woman forced there way into the victim’s apartment. Once inside the home, the culprits tied up the female victim. A search of the apartment was made and the culprits fled with an unknown amount of money and property. The woman was taken to North Central Bronx Hospital for medical attention."
Yup. 36 years.
- posted by matt @ 11/07/2003 04:09:00 PM
Bi-way robberies in Village
"Cross-dressing teens from Harvey Milk High School offered sex for money in Greenwich Village and then robbed the would-be johns — by pretending to be cops, sources said last night."
- posted by matt @ 11/07/2003 03:43:00 PM
Hmm... I Feel Something Painful
"A 24-year-old man walked into Jamaica Hospital last Thursday after he realized he had been shot in the leg, police said.
"The man, who was not identified, was walking in the area of 163rd Street and 89th Avenue about 6 p.m. last Thursday when he felt a pain in his left leg, he told police. When he realized the pain was coming from a bullet wound, he headed for Jamaica Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, police said."
Anyone care to explain this?
- posted by matt @ 11/07/2003 12:31:00 AM
Raid Nets 350 Switchblades, Swords
"A new undercover police unit whose goal is to weed out illegal knives in Queens arrested eight men and seized 350 switchblades, swords and other cutting weapons Thursday in raids at five variety stores, authorities said."
These raids were carried out by a unit of 50 police offices nicknamed... ready for this... "The Cutting Edge." Oh boy! Har har! Knives. Sharp. Cutting edge. Oh my side!
Anyway, some guy came up to me outside my office a few days ago and offered to sell me a switchblade. I asked to take a look... got to push the button. That was pretty cool, but I explained that I wasn't in the market. Then I quickly ran inside.
- posted by matt @ 11/07/2003 12:21:00 AM
Abandoned Bicycles of New York
This gallery of abandoned bikes is Scary in an eerie sort of way. There was this shitty bike near my office one day locked to some pole. All rusty, flat tire, bent rims, etc. There was a sign taped to the wall above it... all fancy and laminated that went on to explain that the bike was in fact not abandoned. Sure enough, it was gone the next day, presumably as a result of its owners actions. Via Amy's Link Robot.
- posted by matt @ 11/05/2003 11:32:00 PM
Evicted, she leaps to death
"An East Side woman died when she leaped from her 27th-floor apartment yesterday afternoon, apparently after being evicted, police said."
- posted by matt @ 11/05/2003 05:35:00 PM
Where's the Party? @ Gawker
[Scroll past big honking Absolut ad]
Drunk girl bothers tenant. Gets shoved. I guess this could be real, but it feels a little too "Girls Gone Wild" for me.
- posted by matt @ 11/05/2003 05:14:00 PM
Two Friends Killed In Bronx Shooting
"Two friends were shot to death Monday as they stood in a tree-lined courtyard at a well-kept housing project in the Bronx, police said."
- posted by matt @ 11/04/2003 01:30:00 AM
Man Tried For Murder, Dismemberment
"A Brooklyn man went on trial Tuesday for what prosecutors said was the depraved murder and dismemberment of a tenant for his apartment in a Manhattan housing project."
Why did he do it, as has been alleged?
"Jason Walker, 22, allegedly helped two friends beat and strangle Jerry Pollard, 49, of apartment 9G in the Dyckman Houses in Inwood on May 26, 2001 so that they could take over the apartment, prosecutors said."
His friend killed another lady to get apt 7G.
- posted by matt @ 11/04/2003 01:24:00 AM
Stabbing in Boozy Brawl
"A verbal dispute outside an Upper East Side bar noted for its rowdiness led to a brawl and a stabbing that sent a man to the hospital for surgery yesterday, cops said.
"The incident began at about 3:35 a.m. when Timothy Nelson, 23, of Howard Beach, Queens, left the bar Who's on First at 1683 First Avenue."
Police said the incident started something like this:
Man 1: Well then who's on first?
Man 2: Yes!
Man 1: I mean the fellow's name!
Man 2: Who!
Man 1: The guy on first!
Man 2: Who!
Man 1: The first baseman!
Man 2: Who!
Man 1: The guy playing first!
Man 2: Who is on first!
Man 1: Now whaddya askin' me for?
Man 2: I'm telling you Who is on first.
Man 1: Well, I'm asking YOU who's on first!
Man 2: That's the man's name.
Man 1: That's who's name?
Man 2: Yes.
Man 1: Well go ahead and tell me.
Man 2: Who.
Then Man 1 stabbed Man 2. Ok, that's not true at all.
- posted by matt @ 11/03/2003 11:37:00 AM
Folks-Away Rich Kids Go Wild On East Side
"A boozy Upper East Side party thrown by a teen while her wealthy parents were out of town turned into a violent, drunken melee that had to be broken up by cops and that left one kid hospitalized, sources said yesterday."
There were pools of barf on the street. Pools!
- posted by matt @ 11/03/2003 11:20:00 AM
To keep reading, check out the archives.